The Butte County SELPA is dedicated to the belief that all students can learn and that students with special needs must be guaranteed equal opportunity to become contributing members of society. We believe in success for all students and support inclusion in all aspects of life.
The mission of the Butte County Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) is to empower teachers and families to empower students. Student self-determination and independence are strong areas of focus in our SELPA, as well as strengths-based and student-centered planning.
The Butte County SELPA further believes . . .
All staff must take ownership in meeting the needs of all students, including those with exceptional needs.
- Creativity and innovation within special education classroom environments should be supported and encouraged.
- Flexibility and tolerance is necessary in considering the educational needs of students with exceptional needs.
- Deserve an educational environment that respects their safety and welfare.
- Possess unique strengths and abilities.
- Benefit when schools focus on their social, emotional, physical and academic needs.
- Can and will learn best when adults plan for their success.
Students with Exceptional Needs:
- Must be integrated with their typical peers throughout their educational experience to the maximum extent possible.
- Benefit from high expectations and they must meet high standards for academic and non-academic skills.