How to Make Referrals

For Parents and Guardians

If you suspect your infant or toddler may have a disability and may be in need of specialized supports or services, you are encouraged to contact Butte County Office of Education’s Early Start Program.  Early Start provides a variety of services to eligible infants and toddlers ages birth to three and their families throughout Butte County.  Eligible children include those who are experiencing developmental delays or who have a condition that is an established risk for developmental delays. Children with “low incidence” disabilities are also eligible; such as children with hearing impairments, vision impairments, and orthopedic impairments. Anyone can make a referral by calling (530) 532-5740 and speaking with an Early Start staff member. 

If you suspect your school-age child from ages 3 to 21 may have a disability and may be in need of special education or related services, you are encouraged to contact staff at your school of residence regarding your concerns. 

                                                              Contact Information for Butte County SELPA Local Educational Agencies


 Bangor Union Elementary School District  (530) 679-2434
 Biggs Unified School District  (530) 868-1281
 Butte County Office of Education  (530) 532-5740
 Chico Unified School District  (530) 891-3000
 Durham Unified School District  (530) 895-4697
 Golden Feather Union Elementary School District  (530) 533-3833
 Gridley Unified School District  (530) 846-4383
 Manzanita Elementary School District  (530) 846-5594
 Oroville City Elementary School District  (530) 532-5690
 Oroville Union High School District  (530) 538-2300
 Palermo Union School District  (530) 533-4708
 Paradise Unified School District  (530) 872-6425
 Pioneer Union Elementary School District  (530) 589-1633
 Thermalito Union School District  (530) 538-8827
 Butte County SELPA  (530) 532-5621

For Educational Staff

If you need to make a referral to a program or service provided by the Butte County SELPA or the Butte County Office of Education Special Education Division, you can find all the forms you need within the SEIS Document Library.  This includes forms for Assistive Technology, BASES Learning Center, BCOE ACCESS, BCOE DHH, BCOE FOCUS, BCOE STRIVE, BCOE Related/DIS Services, Behavior Support, Educationally-Related Mental Health Services, Low Incidence, Professional Development, Program Specialist Support, and more.  The page looks like the image below, and you will click the appropriate folder.  Still not finding what you need?  Call us at (530) 532-5621 or email us at 

Image of screenshot of part of the SEIS document library page.