Butte County SELPA understands the importance of supporting students with special needs as they transition into adulthood. Under IDEA, students with IEPs receive transition support and planning beginning at the age of 16 years old through the IEP process. Preparing students well in advance as they begin the transition from high school to their adult life is an essential part of a positive learning experience and success in developing student independence.
Butte County SELPA aims to provide educators and parents with a variety of resources and guidance to support the individual and unique needs of each student moving through this process. Here you will find information on the transition IEP process, assessment tools, and other resources to support students and their families in achieving success as they enter into adulthood.
Transition Planning Basics - California Department of Education
Transition Planning Checklist - from the Special School District of St. Louis County, Missouri
Transition Planning for Students with Disabilities - Supporting Inclusive Practices - Comprehensive Transition Resources Padlet
- Transition Planning Resource Guide
- Secondary Transition Resource Guide
- Zarrow Center for Learning: Transition Websites for Assessment Tools
- Student Self-Determination and Self-Advocacy Skills Questionnaire
- Student Transition Interview
- Transitional Planning –Skills for Life Assessment Tool
- Functional Skills Transition Assessment
- Life Skills Inventory: Independent Living Skills Assessment Tool
- Teaching 21st Century thinking through SWOT Activities
- Visit our Butte County SELPA WorkAbility1 Webpage and join our WorkAbility1 Facebook Page to keep up with the latest openings and resources!
- Preparing for the Future: A Transition Handbook for Success, by Butte County SELPA, 2015
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- California Career Resources Network
- Accommodations for College Services
- Butte Community College: Disabled Student Program and Services - Support services for Butte College students with disabilities.
- CSU Chico Accessibility Resource Center - Support services for Chico State students with disabilities.
- Transition Guide to Postsecondary Education and Employment for Students and Youth with Disabilities
- Find the Right College for You
- National Association for Student Financial Aid
- Linking Transition and Post-Secondary Goals, TEACHING Exceptional Children, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 44-51, Copyright 2009 CEC.
For questions about Transition, contact your child's case manager, your school or district, or contact a SELPA Program Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org